John Holland, CPB Contractors and AECOM secure $742mn Melbourne Metro tunnelling contract
A trio of companies will work on the design and construction of a key chunk of the Melbourne Metro Tunnel Project in a contract worth $742mn.
John Holland and CPB Contractors will act as equal construction partners with AECOM taking on the design element of what is the fourth major works package to be awarded.
The contract will include cut and cover and tunnelling works at the eastern and western tunnel entrances to connect the new rail tunnel to the existing network, along with additional selected station upgrades, tunnel, track and signalling works along the Sunbury and Dandenong lines.
- John Holland and CPB Contractors JV to build Melbourne’s West Gate Tunnel Project
- AirTrunk expands Australia footprint with hyperscale data centre campus in Melbourne
- Hill International secures $4bn India rail contracts
John Holland CEO Joe Barr said: “When the Metro Tunnel opens in 2025, it will be a game changer – bringing a true metro-style rail system to Melbourne for the first time.
“John Holland is thrilled to be part of Rail Infrastructure Alliance and continue our involvement in this project to revolutionise public transport in Melbourne.”
The Aussie builder has been heavily involved in the transport scheme since its inception, including acting as a key provider of early works which involved excavation of shafts for several stations.
Construction of this latest phase of the $8.17bn project is expected to commence later this year and will be complete by 2025.
CIMIC Group Chief Executive Officer Michael Wright added: “Investment in major rail infrastructure in Victoria is providing CIMIC Group and CPB Contractors with a strong pipeline of opportunities, and it is our privilege to be delivering these significant works to support this city-shaping public transport initiative.”
- Glencore cancels plans for AU$2bn Queensland coal mineBuilt Environment
- AECOM to sell civil construction business to Oroco CapitalBuilt Environment
- Aecom awarded design contract for $500bn NEOM projectConstruction Projects
- Acciona, Aecom, Aurecon design $614mn project in AustraliaConstruction Projects