The Lusail Stadium for Qatar’s World Cup – key facts
By Catherine Sturman
May 16, 2020
Located 20km north of Doha will be the new Lusail Stadium, which will become infamous with the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The stadium is one of eight currentl...
Located 20km north of Doha will be the new Lusail Stadium, which will become infamous with the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The stadium is one of eight currently being built in the region.
Take a look at our top 10 facts regarding the new stadium: the companies behind the project and the long term benefits the construction will bring to the region.
- Commencing in 2014, the new stadium will be able to seat approximately 80,000 spectators who will attend the 2022 match
- Situated close to the developing Lusail City, designers are ensuring the build integrates successfully with the surrounding environment
- Foster + Partners are behind the completed design of the stadium, incorporating a number of sophisticated technologies
- TIME Qatar were brought onto the iconic build as project managers, ensuring the project reaches key milestones
- Marafeq has been selected to provide key cooling technologies within the open-air stadium.
- Galfar Al Misnad are responsible for completing parts of the early construction project, alongside levelling works by Marbu Contracting
- The area encompasses 19 districts, which once complete, will become the home of over 200,000 citizens and increase employment within the region
- In order to facilitate for the increased numbers, the region’s infrastructure is set to become strengthened with embedded transportation systems.
- The stadium is scheduled for completion in 2020
Read the December 2016 issue of Construction Global magazine.