Balfour Beatty joint venture to build $188mn Singapore data centre
European and Asian Pacific data centre operator Global Switch has awarded Gammon Construction a $188mn contract to build a six-storey data centre in Singapore.
Gammon, a 50-50 Far East joint venture between Balfour Beatty and Jardine Matheson, is precasting 70% of the structure off-site and utilising building information modelling (BIM) technology to boost project efficiency. Around 700 workers will be employed at construction peak.
Singapore’s outsourced/colocation data centre market is project to hit $1.5bn this year, up from the $934mn it reached in 2017, according to a study by Structure Research.
Gammon’s data centre, located in the north of Singapore and set to be operational by year’s end, is the first project in country to adopt prefabricated mechanical and electrical and plumbing (MEP) modular techniques on a large scale.
- Google plans $178mn expansion of Irish data centre to power regional operations
- Interview: Discussing data centre trends with Open Compute Project
- Read the latest edition of Construction Global magazine
Thomas Ho, Chief Executive of the company, said: “This project which will increase our portfolio of significant projects in Singapore, is another opportunity to showcase our expertise in modern construction techniques and delivery.
“Gammon’s continued successful delivery of projects in Singapore enhances our customers’ confidence in our expertise.”
It has been a busy period for Gammon Construction in the region. Earlier in May the company secured a $500mn contract to build a million-square-foot residential complex in Hong Kong.
Gammon Construction’s two parent companies have worked in partnership since 2004 and have completed numerous projects throughout China and Southeast Asia. The business is a major player in the Hong Kong and Singapore roads market in particular.
- Balfour Beatty awarded £1.2bn contract by National HighwaysEPC
- Gammon wins major HK$12.88bn Hong Kong airport projectConstruction Projects
- Manchester Engineering Campus Development (MECD) virtual site tourBuilt Environment
- Balfour Beatty JV wins HK$4.75bn Hong Kong manufacturing contractConstruction Projects