Construction on Saudi Aramco ad Total’s petrochemical plant to begin in the third quarter of 2018

By Sophie Chapman
The state-owned oil and gas company, Saudi Aramco, has signed deals with several French firms, including Total, Technip, and Suez, following Crown Princ...

The state-owned oil and gas company, Saudi Aramco, has signed deals with several French firms, including Total, Technip, and Suez, following Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s visit to France.

A memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between the Saudi Arabian firm and the French oil and gas company, Total, agreeing to build a large petrochemical complex in Jubail.

The project will be a downstream aspect of the SATORP refinery, located next to it.

The city on the Persian Gulf will receive a SAR18.75bn (US$5bn) complex, featuring a mixed-feed steam cracker with an annual 1.36mn tonne ethylene capacity.

SEE ALSO:

The cracker will feed other plants working with petrochemicals and speciality chemicals, ehich is anticipated to draw in an additional SAR15bn ($4bn) from third-party investors.

Saudi Aramco will have the majority share in the joint venture at 62.5%, with the remaining 37.5% owned by Total.

Front-end engineering and design (FEED) on the complex is expected to begin in the third quarter of 2018.

The 2.45mn tonne-capacity project aims to create 8,000 direct and indirect jobs.

Share

Featured Articles

Open ECX is transforming construction with digital solutions

Open ECX offers innovative, cloud-based e-trading solutions for the construction sector and its associated supply chain

Bechtel and CWP Global spot Africa green hydrogen potential

Partnership involving CWP Global and Bechtel to provide planning solutions for integrated configurations involving green hydrogen facilities

'Better with Bellway' sustainability strategy launched

Bellway's new sustainability strategy coincides with half-year results in which the UK homebuilder's operating profit rose 11.6% to £332.2mn

Construction of utility scale solar farms to accelerate

Construction Projects

China's longest reconstructed bridge to open early April

Construction Projects

Construction firms must focus on water neutrality

EPC